Week Three

Elder Robbins talk “Making a Living and a Life” provided some interesting ideas to ponder. I never considered that Satan had very limited options to tempt Adam and Eve. I imagine Adam and Eve quickly learned that obedience is a much better path to travel than disobedience.  However, once children arrived on the scene competition, jealously, covetous, and selfishness all entered the plan. We’ve been dealing with these sins and more ever since.  I agree that pride is the universal sin. Humility and gratitude are the antidotes to the awful effects of pride.  

I really liked his description of the different motivational levels behind the work we do. Thankfully, early on in my career I learned that the Grade A motivation is the most beneficial to all involved. This revelation came to me as I read Jacob 2:18-19. 

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. 
19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted. 

To me these words are the Lord’s equation for success. Basically, if our motivation is charity then He will provide us with the means to bless others. From that point on, I’ve tried my best to do all things with the welfare of others in mind.  

This week’s lessons on honesty and integrity reminded me just how important these characteristics are in my professional life.  As an insurance agent I have opportunities every single day to mislead, misrepresent, and rationalize dishonest activity.  I’ve learned, however, that a clear conscience allows a much better night’s sleep than one that stays up worrying if a claim will be covered or not. 

Because I’ve established a reputation as an honest agent, underwriters don’t question my submissions. They trust my applications, make exceptions, and value my opinions. Furthermore, loyal clients refer their friends and family because they know I’ll take care of them by providing excellent service with integrity.  

I’m really enjoying the “Launching Leaders” book.  I completely agree with the formula. It does work. I need to do better about getting up early. I’m going to work on that step this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twelve

Week Five

Week Seven