Week Seven

Wow, my first semester back to school is half-way through. I’ve really enjoyed the learning process. I’m grateful the Lord prompted me to occupy some of my free time in this manner.  I learned many principles and ideas that I’ve applied to my life.  This week’s lesson included material from Steven Covey’s “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.” I had already read this book and listen to the companionship volume, “Seven Habits of a Highly Effective Marriage.”  But this time I applied his principles to my single life.  At this point in my life the most important principles are the first three because I’m working hard to be independent, to focus on my own personal growth, reestablish my self- worth and value.   

Principle one is to be proactive. I must always remember that I have the God given right to choose my own path, to control my actions and responses to the agency of others. I’m not a victim. I will take this divorce and turn it into a blessing for my children and me.  Principle two is to begin with the end in mind. I can see the time when my children recognize with gratitude and even a little praise for my post- divorce choices to put God first and to sacrifice my own life for their welfare. Principle three is put first things first.  God and building his kingdom are my priority. I know if I put him first then “all things work together for good to them that love God.” (Romans 8:28) Because the divorce freed up some time, I’ve taken the opportunity to prioritize that which matters the most to me: God, kids, work, school, home projects, and finally dating.   

I experience private victories on a regular basis. My children express their love and appreciation for the time I spend with them.  I know they feel the peace and comfort I’m desperately trying to provide in my home through covenant living. They reach out to me for advice. My oldest daughter told me the other day that she knows she can trust me and the advice I give her.   

In my situation I expect the public victories to come when my children are much older.  Once they have their own testimonies, more gospel knowledge and more understanding then they will comprehend the sacrifice and offering I’m making for them and my own welfare. I hope they share my testimony and conviction with their own children. I hope when they face life’s hardships they will, as Alma the Younger did, remember the words and actions of their father when he faced the hardest trial of his life.  I hope they remember in those times that I turned to Christ and found salvation therein. If they do that then I can think of no greater public victory.  My life will have been a success. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Twelve

Week Five